Sunday, June 9, 2013

Day One on the boat

We arrived in Lodon a little ahead of schedule. Sherri and I were both knackered and were in dire need of a kip. I slept a little over an hour on the flight, Sherri a bit more. But no rest for the weary. We hired a London black taxi to drive us to the marina 1.5 hours north. Our cab driver's name was Shawn. He delivered us straight to the marina without a single missed turn. 

We arrived at the Marina a bit before 3:00pm. No time for tea. The staff was waiting for us. They showed us a short safety video then onto the boat. Our engineer, Louis, demonstrated all the systems of the boat. I didn't realize I would be required to perform certain maintenance procedures in the evening to keep the boat from sinking. This is my kind of boat. A short boat ride with Louis then we were off by 4:30. 

Sherri and I took turns learning to steer the boat. I was amazed how easily the boat handled. 

Our first day cruise was from the Gayton Marina to the village of Stoke Bruerne. We passed through a 3057 (1.7 mile) yard long tunnel. I took video of this experience. Our plan was to tire up outside the tunnel then walk into the village. Apparently everyone on the canal had the same idea. This forced us to moor below the village locks. I say forced because I wanted a good nights sleep before I had to work the locks for the first time. But no worries, I had a large audience of onlookers who were relying on me to demonstrate to them the fine art of bringing a canal boat through a traditional England countryside lock. I marched up to the dock with my windlass in hand and prepared the lock for our boat to enter. Since we were going down the canal, Sherri had to navigate the boat out of the lock on her own. She performed this brilliantly. We had help with the second lock.
We moored just below the second lock next to a group of amazingly well behaved college students. This was our stop for the night. 
We walked into the village to an Indian restaurant for a nice dinner.
Showered then to bed for some much needed rest. 
I will be walking to a pub later this morning and posting pictures with the benefit of wireless internet. 
Later 

2 comments:

  1. That dang jet lag can kill you! Glad you arrived safely, and to hear the relative ease of the first short night. Anxious to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felling much better today. 6pm here and starting to feel it again.

    ReplyDelete