Today we cruised longer than any other day. Sherri and I took turns at the tiller. Our destination was Stoke Bruerne and the boat festival. We were getting reports that all the moorings were full at Stoke Bruerne. The closest we might get would be below the first set of 5 locks, 1 mile below town.
Even though we were anxious to get to Stoke, it didn't prevent us from making a couple of stops. One for supplies, and an antique store. At the Antique store, we looked around, found a couple small items to purchase and had our first cream tea. We continued on past mustard fields and pastures full of sheep. A short stop in Cosgrove. Sherri took a short siesta and I walked into town to visit an old grave yard and church. I met a young girl who was from the Czech Republic. She was working in Cosgrove as a nanny on a 6 month visa. There was a bit of a language barrier, but I think she was looking for a husband.
We left Cosgrove and motored on to Stoke. We found a mooring below the locks and stopped for the night. After fixing a dinner of lamb shank and potatoes, we decided to walk up to the locks. The walk to the locks turned into a walk into town. The festival was getting started with drinks and music. We saw Ralphies much bigger twin brother. He was just as loving as Ralphie.
We moved into a tent were a bearded man was reciting a poem. When he finished they broke into song. The music was tradional English folk music mixed in with a few songs written by attendees about canal life. Every so often, someone would get up from the audience and lead everyone in a sing along. Sherri and I couldn't stop smiling.
I ran in to Bob from day 2. We had a nice visit. He asked how our trip had been going. We told him about our great adventures. He asked if we plan on returning. We said we cerntainly would. Bob said, the next time we come not to hire a boat but we could use his boat any time. I was a bit shocked and asked if he was serious. He said yes, no problem.
We thought the night had come to an end. We left the tent and I made a quick stop at the loo. When I came out Sherri was excepting an invitation from another couple, Peter and Maurine, for a tour of the boat and a drink. They were both retired and the boat was their home. Peter gave me a tour of the engine room and explained how the systems worked. Then a small wisky and a visit. We left Peter and Maurine at midnight and walked the mile to our boat in total darkness with only our iPhones to light the way. Thank you Steve Jobs.
The end of the day, the end of the trip, could not have ended better.
We will spend some time at the festival on Saturday then back to Gayton marina for the night.
Awesome! So glad this has been such a wonderful experience for you both. Phase 2 soon. You will love the underground.
ReplyDeleteYou two really are having an adventure! Love reading the stories and seeing the pics!! Xoxo
ReplyDelete